Sunday, July 21, 2013

Carb Cycling

CARBS are NOT YOUR ENEMY! Period. Most people have the misconception that consuming low carbs on a day to day basis for long periods of time is good for them. The main problem with low-carb diets is that they are meant as temporary diets; they deplete your energy and strength and are not the best method when attempting to lose body fat and retain muscle. You cannot eat that way forever. Your body needs carbs for daily functions.  Your body NEEDS FUEL a.k.a. GOOD CARBS.  If you are looking to get out of a plateau or get your body fat to melt...Carb cycling is a GREAT method.  I personally love it because, this way I can keep the lean muscle I've worked so hard to build and I can shed the stored fat - leaving my muscles alone.  Carb cycling helps to give your body the fuel and better tools (via the food) to shed layers of fat, thus increasing your metabolism.

There are the High Carb Days (this is usually meant for a high intensity workout day (HIT), then there is Medium and Low.  For me I go a 4th day of NO carbs.  Really tricking my body to spike my metabolism back into full speed.

Sunday is my day to grocery shop. I first ALWAYS write out my seven day meal plan.  Some weeks it's close to being the same.  And other's it is completely different.  My workout teaching schedule is the same.  I have to make Tuesday's my HIGH carb day due to the intensity of that particular HIT class.  So, my days might seem a little whackie, but I have to taylor it to me.

Monday - low carb
Tuesday - High carb
Wednesday - Medium carb
Thursday - High carb
Friday- Low
Saturday  - Medium

My Seven day meal sample of what I will eat (AGAIN THIS BASED ON ME)

Low Day - Monday
Breakfast : 1 full egg, 3 egg whites, 1tbsp in 1/2 cup of oatmeal
Mid Morn Snack - Greet plain yogurt 1/2 cup berries, 1000 mg fish oil tablets
Lunch - 6oz chicken, 2 tspns of plain hummus, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 cup quinoa 1/2 cup spinach, 1000 mg fish oil tablets
Mid Afternoon Snack - 1 scoop of Whey Protein Powder in 8oz cold water
16 raw almonds
Dinner  - 6oz turkey, 1/2 cup berries  2 tspns of hummus on chicken
Before Bedtime - 1/2 scoop of Casean Protein Powder w/ 4oz ice cold water

High Carb Day - Tuesday
Breakfast - 3 egg whites & 1 full egg, 1 cup spinach, just under a cup of oatmeal, 1 tbspn of peanut butter
Mid Morning Snack - 3 oz plain greek yogurt, 1 cup of broccoli, 1 tbspn of peanut butter 1000 mg fish oil tablets
Lunch - 6oz  chicken, 1/2cup of black beans, 1 cup of spinach
Mid Afternoon Snack - 1/2 Yam, Whey Protein Shake
Dinner -  Turkey, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 cup berries

Medium Carb Day  Wednesday
Breakfast - 1 full egg, 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 tbspn peanut butter 1/2 grapefruit
Mid Morning Snack - Greek yogurt, 1000 mg fish oil tablets
Lunch - Chicken, 12/ avocado, 1 cup spinach 1000 mg fish oil tablets
Mid Afternoon Snack - 1 small green apple, 4oz Whey Protein
Dinner - chicken, 1 cup spinach, 1 tbspn peanut butter
Before Bedtime - 1/2 scoop of Casean Protein Powder in ice cold water

Thursday is a high carb day so I will repeat my Tuesday Menu
NO carb day Friday
Breakfast - 1 light cheese stick, 6 eggs (5 whites, 1 full), 1 can tuna in water
Mid Morning Snack -  8oz 1 scoop Whey Protein
Lunch - 8oz of Turkey, 1 light cheese stick, 1000 mg fish oil tablets
Mid Morning Snack
Dinner 1 fully cooked egg (fried) over 8oz of turkey, 1 light cheese stick
On the NO carb day, if I decide I don't like that I can always switch it and repeat the "low carb" day.
The only fluids throughout the week besides Protein in water, will be water, green tea and oolong tea.

This will boost my metabolism.  Each meal you'll notice has a protein, good fat and good carb, except my no carb day.  Eating a low carb diet is NOT ideal when you become active....Your body needs FUEL...Carbs give you that fuel.  And you DO NOT want your body feeding off the MUSCLE you have built.  I don't know about you but losing muscle definition is not in my cards.  Good fat helps fight the fat in your body and the Protein is to help your muscles repair at the recovery time (meaning when you are resting not working the muscles.  You tear them in the gym and repair them at rest time).

I hope this helps!

IF YOU ARE NEW TO MY BLOG, YOU CAN SCROLL DOWN TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN.  YOU WILL SEE "OLDER ARTICLES" THERE ARE TONS OF THINGS I HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT - ABOUT DIFFERENT SUBJECTS.  'JOIN' THIS SITE FOR FREE..WHERE IT SAYS "FOLLOWERS" YOU WILL GET EMAILS THAT GIVE YOU THE UPDATED ARTICLES.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment