Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Unknown Can Be Scary

One of the things that I sit and  think about is that day, December 28, 1998.  My daughter was almost 12 months old and my son was 2 ½.  I unlocked the door to our old home.  Walking through the door made my heart drop. This was the home my song came home to from the hospital when he was born. As I was stepping inside this time without their dad, my heart broke.  It broke for all of us.

I had gained 70 lbs with my daughter during my pregnancy and again I was back at square one. I had lost 95 pounds after my son was born (that was so HARD!!!).   My knees couldn’t handle the weight, neither could my back.  I had everything you would think working against me.  STRESS of being a new single parent of a baby and toddler, not knowing how in the world we were going to make it.  That scared the crud out of me.  I had three jobs, so paying for daycare was going to be incredibly challenging.  I wasn’t feeling my best with the weight on my body.  Sleeping was challenging and my back always hurt.  My blood pressure could have been better.  Getting them both with me to my second job - THE GYM was also going to be a challenge ( a challenge that later reaped many benefits for my children in their lives).

I refused to let my inner voice sit on my left shoulder and talk me out of things that were important to me.  I just wanted to be healthy again.   I just wanted to feel comfortable in my skin.  I wanted to set the example as I lead in fitness/health and wellness.  I loved myself enough to shut the voice down and strive to reach three goals for my health.  1. Get my blood pressure to a better number; 2. Lose 35 lbs in less than 90 days; 3. Lose the rest 35 pounds in less than another 90 days.



Now don’t get me wrong, the mind games, they were trying.  The voice at times was RELENTLESS! Everyday I was exhausted at 5:00 p.m.  Driving to the end of town to pick my babies up from daycare, rushing to the gym to teach my class, get them settled in childcare - which both of my children LOVED going to the gym when they were little, then going home, bathing them, reading and playing with them before bedtime, getting dinner dishes done, put away, transcribing recorded statements for two insurance companies kept me up late at night, then to get myself cleaned up before getting up at 6:00 a.m.  annnnd take a deep breath, whew!   I was Mom and I was Dad in my household.    There was extreme pressure on me financially.  I had to keep us a float.

Stress can hinder weight loss.  I knew this.  But what I also knew is that when I lost the weight I had to keep in mind that my body was not going to look like it did at 21.  I loved myself no matter what my weight was or how my body would look - the important thing I had to keep in the front of my mind was, that being HEALTHY for my kids is what matters and is important.  The quality of their life is what drove me to reaching my goals.

You are going to be, or can be your own worst enemy.   Each day is an opportunity to keep moving forward  just one day at a time.  Shutting off that voice is something you have to practice.  Not allowing negative thoughts to control you and steer your day is challenging in itself.  BUT IT TAKES PRACTICE.  What I did, and if you can, practice only thinking positively of what you are going to achieve today and then do it.   If you can practice this, you will achieve your goals!   Love yourself no matter how your jeans fit.

Today, I am proud that I am healthier than I was at 21. I am in better shape prior to being pregnant with my first child.  My energy level just from exercise alone carries me.   The voice, is it still there?  Sometimes it tries to turn up the volume on it's own, and I keep pressing MUTE!

I'm no longer living paycheck to paycheck wondering how I am going to make it.  I'm proud that I can say that for myself because it was a struggle.  A REAL STRUGGLE!   I sacrificed a lot of ENTERTAINMENT time to keep plugging forward to reach my goals.  

Today, both of my children are working.  My son started at 17 and my daughter started at 16.  I think my work ethic may have rubbed off.  I thank my Dad, may he rest in peace for this.  He had a strong work ethic too.  I miss you Dad!

You have to STARVE YOUR DISTRACTIONS TO SUCCEED.  YOU CAN DO THIS!  Get out a good old piece of paper, not your phone or computer and WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS.  PUT IT IN YOUR FACE EVERYDAY until you reach them.


No comments:

Post a Comment