Saturday, March 24, 2012

THINSPIRATION

I will be featuring success stories to THINSPIRE those that are on this journey to a lifestyle change. 

Today I would like to introduce you to Brad.  Brad's story is truly inspiring and I'm proud to have him in the front row right next to me in my kickboxing class.  I hope Brad's story inspires you.

     On December 31st 2002 I suffered kidney failure & was admitted to the ER with my 
blood pressure 290 over 180 & was blind. I spent 48hrs in the ICU until my blood 
pressure was under control. I didnt get my vision back completly until February 
2003 & started daily kidney dialysis in March.
  During the first 2 years of dialysis I gained weight steadily. In 2006 I 
weighed 275lbs. I was informed I would be taken off the transplant list if I 
gained any more weight.  I was told to be eligible for a transplant I needed to 
weigh 220lbs. At this point in my life I was depressed, had low self esteem, was 
angry & bitter. 
     Due to the type of dialysis, I could only do cardio. No weights or core body 
workouts.
     I stopped cheating on my diet,no more fast food or sweets at all. I used smaller 
plates & bowls. Flossed, brushed & mouthwash right after dinner to help fight 
the urge to eat more. 
     I started on the treadmill. I was only able to walk about 30-45 min at first at 
about 3mph. As I built up my endurance & stamina, I increased the speed, added 
incline & was able to extend my walks/jogs to 60-75 mins. The first 20lbs came 
right off, & then I hit my first plateau. I became frustrated, discouraged and 
actually quit working out. 
     I realized that if I wanted to LIVE I needed to change my mindset. It was like 
starting over from the beginning. 
     I walked every chance I had, in the mornings, evenings, twice a day. I soon 
realized I needed a tougher workout. I began walking the stairs where I worked & 
soon after started running the stairs. I hit several plateaus. It took well over 
a year to lose the weight and I had several set backs. I hit my target weight & 
had a very successful kidney transplant in February 2008. 
     In the four months of recovery I gained back 20lbs. Once I was cleared to start 
working out again & not just cardio only, I started right back to walking twice 
a day & running the stairs when I returned to work. I incorporated weight 
lifting & core work into my workout. At my peak I was running the stairs for 3 
hours each session. In January 2009 I join California Family Fitness & weighed 
220lbs. I was a little intimidated at first, but it's was fun to try something 
new. I did my own thing for the first couple months & then started taking 
classes. My new weight goal was 190lbs. I dropped 20 more lbs & hit another 
plateau, this one lasted the longest. I was stuck in a rut, doing the same 
classes & eating the same foods. I then shocked my body with a dramatic change 
of diet & different classes. I added cardio kickboxing & Pilates to my workouts. 
I researched the foods I was eating & realized I was consuming a lot more sugar 
then I should've been. I added more raw veggies & protien to my diet. With more 
determination & motivation from all the new friends I made at the gym I finally 
dropped that last 10lbs which turned into 15lbs. I now weigh 185lbs. I feel 
great, am very healthy & love the way I look!! 
     I have a sweet tooth & enjoy wine, in moderation. I haven't eaten FAST FOOD in 
over 6 years!!! 
Here is Brad's Before Pictures:

HERE IS BRAD'S AFTER PICTURE


2 comments:

  1. This is so amazaing and very insiprational, thank you for sharing your story Brad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspirational for sure Brad. I just can't believe it's the same person.

    You're a very smart guy, choosing life over death.

    ReplyDelete