Monday, November 5, 2012

My First 10k Mud Run!

So, I wanted to share my experience on my 10k race I did on Sunday, October 28, 2012. This was a 6 mile race with obstacles.  I wish I could've showed you all the obstacles, but there weren't photographers at each one.

This was a great way for me to test the ATHLETE in me.  I tell ya what, I felt like a confirmed ATHLETE by the time we completed the race. We not only got a great workout and had a BLAST! We did some laughing throughout our 1:48 and 3 seconds.  Laughing and running can be challenging.   My determination and fear of heights was about to be tested!  

I would encourage you to try something, even a 5k which is a 3 mile run. It’s amazing to when you finish and be proud of yourself that you did it! Honestly, it makes you want to something even more difficult!  I am afraid of heights so I knew going into this I was going to be faced with some high walls and there are NO nets to catch you. Some of the obstacles there were men to help you hoist up but that was it, the rest would depend on the person.  If you are vertically challenged like myself, some of the obstacles were a bit tough, but DO-ABLE!

So there we went and I knew the running would be a breeze before we started, SO I THOUGHT. It wasn’t until we were in it, and running up  these darn hills that I realized ok, maybe not so easy. We brisk walked the steeper hills because we knew we needed strength and ENERGY to get through each obstacle.  Running through sand was a challenge.  My socks and toes  did not appreciate this!
BEFORE THE MUD!
 
Here are just a a few of the obstacles we had to do and I’ll explain to you what went through my mind as I did these.  I'll be honest a few I looked for an escape route! :)

The first one was I believe the crawling under a net on the ground, the HARD ground and you had to do it on your stomach. That wasn’t easy but I didn’t think much of it I jammed through it with raw elbows and scrapes on my schinns by time I completed that one. 

Next was a semi wall to get up and over. I saw it and was like OMG how am I at 5'0 gonna get over that? One running start, nope couldn’t get my upper body up on top.  I went back further and ran my buns off up to it, and hoisted myself up and over and was like ok, I think I can do this! The 10 push ups were a breeze as I was yelling 10? That’s it 10? The crawling through a tube was on my knees, easy, kind of felt like a little kid in a jungle gym!

First mud pit, they are screaming at you get on your stomach don’t use your knees. I have never had mud on my teeth nor in a particular area that wanted to exfoliate me and I really wanted no part of it, but I had no choice. It was so gross and mushy and cold all I could do was laugh as I would dip my head under the flag ropes hoping my mouth wouldn’t go under.   I also had to stay back a bit from the person in front of me, they were splashing mud everywhere. It was hilarious and fun hugging my friend who awaited me outside the pit completely covered in mud as well! MUD HUG!!!!   Suggestion for any future female mud runner, wear workout pants that CLING to the bottom of your knees! I didn't do this and my workout pants stretched to a longer length, which made them feel heavier. No matter what, you are going to have sand, some small rocks and mud up in your everything, but trust me you want clingy workout pangs.    Oh, Erinn that wasn't my butt clapping at you, I now realize it was my pants swinging and hitting my legs!  I know, I know, I kept telling you it was clapping at you throughout the run, and although my butt was proud of you and cheered you on, it was swinging muddy pants - it's been confirmed.

The next was a double sided roped wall. This one got me nervous because when someone else was on it with you, it wobbled all over the place, so core strength and your legs needed to hold tight and boy was your core strength and leg strength tested!   When I got to the top I panicked.( This is the wall that I know where I got my black and blue inner thigh bruises from!)  I couldn’t figure out how to get down because again, my legs are NOT that long folks! For most it was a breeze. If I’d had about 2 to 3 more inches on me I wouldn’t have gotten stuck up there. I couldn't reach the rope on the other side to place my foot.  Help I need longer legs!  But a fellow racer stopped at the top in front of me,  and talked me through what to do, my friends cheered me on (which has NEVER happened to me to be cheered on like that by friends so that was SUPER COOL!) and very slowly as I held on for dear life with my thighs and arms, I very, very slowly maneuvered my back leg over and slowly got to the other side to climb down, with thank goodness my friend was at the bottom reaching for me. This was TRUE TEAMWORK! Again, no nets or cushions if you fell, so the pressure was on. 

When we finally got to the next course and I hope I’m not skipping any, but this one scared the CRAP out of me it was so high! I actually think this was the highest of them all (now that I think of it.)  We saw this one driving in and I was like OMG it’s so high up! This obstacle caused the most laughter during and after. It was like a very very tall bouncy house thing. One side was a rope wall attached to it, don’t look down is all I could think (I hate roller coaster and HEIGHTS). Erinn was climbing like GI JANE in front of me and all heard way, "it’s a huge slide!" There she went!She disappeared on the other side as I was climbing and freaking out. Other people that were climbing were making this thing move all over the place!  I got to the top and realized there is no where to go but down! You could NOT see the bottom!   I didn’t realize how loud I yelled, "OH F...K NO!" I was so scared you guys! Then I closed my eyes, and according to Ernn, legs and  arms were spread all the way out as I’m screaming all the way down! I opened my eyes, my heart is somewhere in my sloshy socks and  it’s over! I got off  thing as fast as possible with my friend laughing calling it my "Jesus Slide." And how everyone looked up when they heard me scream the F word in panic. She said, "she’s with me..yep that’s my friend..." LOL...That one freaked me out I’m not kidding you.  I earned the name, "Chinese Fighting Star." from my fabulous slide down! LOL
The climb up to the top to slide down FAR RIGHT PHOTO!

Running a short disantace with a sandbag thrown over my shoulder was too easy for me, I should've grabbed two!  Walking through the lake was sort of refreshing, water was a bit cold, not too bad, but we were like a line of cattle crossing water, it was funny and mushy! We think a guppy may have landed in Erinn's pants in the lake, but wasn't quite confirmed at that point, there was something in there!  

When we got to the balance beams that were super narrow (this is where I told myself I should've never quit gymnastics when I was 9!) they were pretty high and I thought, OMG how am I going to get my leg up there! I couldn’t without help this time. And a big dude let me use one arm to hold his shoulder to hoist up then he held my hand as I made it across and all the way he coaxed me, encouraged me and told me to make a good dismount which during all the while one of my friends flew off doing a tuck and roll! I’m so glad she didn’t get hurt because again, there are no safety nets or cushions no nothing. 

We ran and ran (it seemed like forever and now I felt like we were in the movie the Hunger Games)  before we got to the next obstacle. These were were three walls - one right after the other! ENDURANCE TIME! Lord let my arms get me up, I thought! These were so high there was no way I could even do this by myself.  They had three guys that would let you put your foot in their hands hoist you up and you do the rest. First two, HOLY BATMAN! I now know what my upper body strength can do!!!! But as I was trying so hard to use my core to pause to let me leg get over the guy about hoisted me all the way over the 3rd wall because apparently I was super light. LOL that scared me! I was about to me superwoman flying over a wall! I rolled my foot but quickly tried my best to recover from it! 

More running up/down hills and I’m just wanting this to be OVER! And I wanted out of my underwear! LOL....But, I am having fun all at the same time.  I was prepping myself mentally for the last wall which would be the very highest wall of all. But next obstacle was getting hoisted up onto very thin straps that you had to walk across and your guide were these hanging horizontal ropes that I could NOT REACH! How in the hell was I going to do this I thought. There is no getting out of this! One guy that was beside me was a big guy and so my straps were all wobbly over the place and I panicked! I didn't want to fall! But with the help of Tina ahead of me pulling down the rope a little so I could reach it and then him I made it over. That required core strength and I was so thankful that in my group strength training class I teach a lot of balance and core. I needed it right then and made it! 

More running ensued and crazy hills, rocks everywhere. The tire run I walked across -  I was not about to break my ankle, nor twist my ankle  on that one. Then came the finish 3 more obstacles. I thought there was one major wall to get over but there was a second after. 

When we finally got to the last two walls, the big wall I was telling myself, no way , no way I can’t do it. This was pegged. As a girl in elementary school I could never achieve this. I tried and failed as a kid. I looked to see if there was a way around it, NOPE. I saw a gal struggling at the top and panicking. I decided to get a running start and got up and climbed like spiderman so fast to the top, talked to her and coaxed her and we both got down. I was in shock! I did it. It was easy! I did it!
 
Last wall! It was wet and soapy with only a rope and we had to use to crawl up to the top  on our stomach. My friend said find the longest rope you can that is your best bet. I sure did! I climbed up there like a ninja and shocked myself again! I could NOT believe my strength and had NO IDEA!  I smelled like soap instead of Folsom Lake water that we had to walk across earlier in the race!
 

And FINALLY! The final mud pit, which was longer than the first! The crowd was cheering us on and I couldn't stop laughing!
 

All three of us girls, held hands and ran across the finish line and boy were we ELATED and VERY MUDDY!! This experience is something I will never forget.  I will tell you that I did this with both shoulders injured, 2 bulging discs in my back and a re-occurring knee problem. HECK YES! We had our picture taken at the finish completely covered in mud (which I can't find on the website) and given our hard earned dog tag!

We headed over to get some water and something to fuel ourselves before we showered off and changed!
Human Wash! We didn't bother we were way too muddy, we needed HOSES!
 
I know now that my class I teach R.I.P.P.E.D.,  helped me achieve this race. That class did exactly what the master trainers said it would do!! TRAIN YOU LIKE TO BE AN ANTHLETE - DUE TO ITS ATHLETIC STRUCTURE.  I’m so very proud of myself and friends for making it through this. It was a  blast doing it! I encourage you to take your fitness outside the gym and try these type of charity events. You want to be inspired? You can truly inspires yourself and your friends and even total strangers, by achieving such! My inner determination was seriously challenged. My fear of heights was challenged and I’m proud to say I did it, and I’m not afraid anymore! Oh, and it's confirmed I can climb like a monkey! WHEW!

The race was very organized and all for a good cause - To help our military.  We donated our shoes after the race and it was cool to see so many people donate their shoes.  I thought it was awesome that Tina had bought brandnew shoes just to donate after the race!  I had a great veggie burger after and then off we went to enjoy some refreshing bloody mary's!  Boy did that hit the spot! Although pooped, I think I could've done that race twice - what do you think Erinn? LOL!

Thank you Erinn and Tina I will never forget this day!

2 comments:

  1. Would you have an interest in writing about your experience via a guest post on my site?

    You can email me at tim.huntley (at) myathleticlife (dot) com.

    Thanks,

    ...Tim

    ReplyDelete